This land has been of importance to Maori since early times, ever since Whataroa Pa stood on this site.
In 1879 James Williamson, a prominent Auckland businessman, instructed architect Edward Mahoney to build Pah Homestead. The park is named after Mother Mary Cecilia Maher who established the Sisters of Mercy in Auckland in 1850.
The sisters, with the Roman Catholic Bishop of Auckland, purchased the Homestead in 1913 and renamed it Monte Cecilia House. It then served as an orphanage and school.
The council purchased the Homestead in 2002 and extensively restored it to its glorious best with main partners NZ Strong & Natural Habitats. Works including structural upgrading, new car parking and extensive decorative landscaping, in and around the Homestead and surrounding Parkland.
Stevenson Concrete Supplied:
- Specially designed Foam Crete Concrete to Fill the historic chimneys that could not be pulled down.
- Decorative Hawke’s Bay Pebbles, 10mm and 16mm with black oxide and shell.
- Standard 10mm Concrete Mix with Black Oxide that was finished with an Acid Etch.