A boat ramp has existed in the centre of St Heliers Bay since about 1930. Stevenson Concrete worked to reinstate this recreational facility, after the old one was buried under sand.
In 2006, as part of the City Council Plan to protect Tamaki Drive and the Seawall along the foreshore from erosion, St Heliers beach underwent a $4.3 million re-sanding process (the same treatment nearby Kohimarama Beach received in 2002). The existing ramp disappeared under one metre of sand, which, as some locals commented, was to be expected.
The new concrete surface is slightly higher than the beach and has been extended in length. Completion of the new boat ramp after the re-sanding process was finished on time for summer, Labour Weekend 2009.
HEB Contractors were the main contractor for the boat ramp and Stevenson Concrete was involved in the supply of the special concrete mixes required for this project. Stevenson also had to closely adhere to the strict council specified occupational health and safety requirements for working in this marine environment.
The tidal boat ramp is the last stage of the St Helier’s Bay upgrade, and is predominantly used for launching kayaks, sailing dinghies and jet skis.